He fights with words, syllables rip in his little mouth ... and it annoys him! The sooner we treat stuttering, the more we increase the chances of seeing it disappear.
Today, 1% of French people are stuttering. When acquiring language, children are all prone to "dysfunction", the irregularity of speech.
- Your child is making efforts to talk, avoids speaking in front of strangers.
- It is subject to syllable repetition (more than three times): "your tat mat", with long extensions of sounds: "vvvvvvvoiture" and blockages of syllables accompanied by twitches of the face and trembling lips.
- He is aware of the difficultieswhich makes him angry or pushes him to isolate himself.
- He expresses quite violently his negative feelings : jealousy, caprices, sadness ... He is suddenly shy or excessively excited.
What are the origins of stuttering?
At present, no specialist agrees to define the origins of stuttering. On the other hand, to take care of a stuttering child, he will analyze what he designates as the three "P" factors:
- Predisposition : Stuttering can be hereditary, linked to premature birth or prenatal illness.
- Precipitation, also known as a "triggering factor", such as the birth of a brother or sister, a move, school entry, mother's return to work or other events (unemployment, bereavement ...).
- sustainability : these are the risks that stuttering sets in because of poor management, difficulties within the family, the behavior of other children at school ...
Your role is essential
- Earlier is detected the disorderthe sooner these different factors are identified, the more likely the stuttering will be to disappear.
- The role of parents, teachers and all those around the child is essential to prevent the disorder from continuing. Ask your pediatrician for an appointment with a speech therapist to make the necessary arrangements.
- Know that psychological support is sometimes necessary.