He swallowed an object

He swallowed an object

Your child brings everything he touches to his mouth. But this time, he has just swallowed an object. How to react in such a situation? The advice of our specialist, Dr. Karine Garcette, gastropediatre.

The problem

  • When your child has swallowed an object, and has coughing or difficulty breathing, you must react quickly.

Who disturbs it?

  • Your child. He can cough, feel pain, vomit, choke: reactions that only make him more frantic.
  • You. You are afraid that he is choking and that, depending on the nature of what he has swallowed, the consequences are serious. Panic can also paralyze you when you have to act.


He swallowed the object all round

  • Even if he starts coughing a little, your child continues to breathe normally and does not seem to feel any discomfort. There is no need to panic beyond measure.
  • What has to be done. As a precaution, take your child to the nearest hospital. An X-ray will make it possible to judge whether to remove the foreign body or not. But most often, when a child swallows an object, it passes into the digestive tract and is evacuated in the stool. It's up to you to remain vigilant and to watch your stool until you find the foreign body there.
  • What to tell him. "You have eaten something that is not eaten, we go to the doctor who will tell us what to do."

1 2