The term of the pregnancy arrived, the loss of waters often gives the signal of the departure towards the maternity. But when the pocket does not break openly, we talk about cracking. This innocuous phenomenon when it occurs during childbirth can have severe consequences when it occurs before.
The water pocket, what is it?
- Comprised of two membranes, the amnion and the chorion, this pouch contains the amniotic fluid. At the time of delivery, under the effect of contractions, it breaks, causing a consequent flow of liquid. This is the famous water loss. It is possible that the rupture is not clear and that the liquid flows slowly, in this case it is called cracking of the water pocket.
The cracking of the water pocket, what is it?
- This phenomenon occurs most often at the end of pregnancy but the cracking of the water pocket concerns more than 50% of deliveries occurring before 30 weeks of pregnancy.
- It is known to a number of risk factors: placenta previa, urinary tract infection, cervico-genital infection, history of rupture of membranes or premature delivery, smoking, open mouth ... But in certain situations, no cause is identified for causing cracking of the water pocket.
Fissuration of the water pocket: many risks
- An emission of liquid, other than urine or vaginal discharge, which lasts even after having changed or emptied its bladder, must systematically hold the attention of the pregnant woman and prompt her to consult without delay.
- The cracking of the water bag increases many risks: infections for the baby, prematurity, cord prolapse, caesarean section, uterine infections ... As for spinning at the maternity even if it's for nothing!
Increased monitoring of pregnancy
- A clinical examination will verify if amniotic fluid is flowing. A vaginal swab is performed with a stick, it changes color in contact with amniotic fluid. If this is the case, the care will be different depending on the term of the pregnancy and the risks incurred by the mother and the child, but it is mainly based on increased surveillance of the pregnancy with antibiotic therapy, hospitalization or resting. , infectious reports and repeated ultrasound, anti contraction treatment.
- Everything will be done to allow the baby to finish his development warm in the belly of his mother.