It is often said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day ... it's all the more true during pregnancy. Which foods should be favored? And which ones to avoid? We take stock.
During pregnancy, this first meal of the day is even more important, especially for women prone to the famous nausea of the first trimester.
Choose your "sugars"
- Nutritionists warn pregnant women against industrialized grain products. Featured for their "health" potential, these foods are actually very rich in fast sugars. Better to choose a good sandwich bread or oatmeal, to have energy throughout the morning and avoid hypoglycemia.
Think about dairy products
- During pregnancy, the fetus needs calcium to develop normally, as does the skeleton of the expectant mother, who is subjected to a severe test for 9 months. It is therefore essential to consume a dairy product during each meal. At the beginning of the day, it may be, for example, a bowl of milk, a cottage cheese or a yogurt.
Fill up on vitamins
- What's better than fresh fruit to start your day? In addition to being a natural source of minerals, trace elements and vitamins, they contribute to a good dietary balance and promote intestinal transit. So, why deprive yourself? A good strawberry-banana smoothie, do you like it?
Do not eliminate fat
- Contrary to popular belief, lipids should not be banned from breakfast. Although fat needs to be consumed in moderation, it is nevertheless essential for the neurological growth of the fetus and for the health of the future mother. In addition, a little butter or margarine will complement your bread perfectly!
- After a night's sleep, the body of the pregnant woman must refill with water. If you do not drink milk at breakfast, you will need to rehydrate your body in another way. A large glass of water or fresh fruit juice ... It's up to you to see what you want! Tea and coffee, on the other hand, should be consumed in moderation.
- Fiber, carbohydrates, vitamins ... It's fine, but where are the proteins? To complete their breakfast, some pregnant women are tempted by a touch of "so British", opting for a slice of ham or a fried egg. You can also succumb to the call of a piece of cheese (among those allowed during pregnancy)!
Quick, take a look at our Food and Pregnancy file