Your toddler will know his first big start? Plane, train, car, our advice to travel with him in all serenity. Ready, Set ?
For your child, it's a great first. Traffic jams, check-in luggage ... he's not very used to it yet. No more improvising so. From now on, you will have to OR-GA-NI-SER.
Travel by car: the precautions
The good news is that your toddler still has a sense of immature balance and will not be nauseated!
- What has to be done. The B.A-BA is to avoid driving during hot hours and stopping every two hours. On the highways areas suitable for toddlers exist, with ready meals, diapers and changing tables.
- In the car, put your child in his car seat, attach sunshades to the windows and release the rear shelf to prevent falling objects in case of sudden braking.
- Submit regularly to drink to your little passenger, refresh him with a fogger and never leave him alone in the car at a standstill. Always stop to eat it. With milk bacteria growing from 20 ° C, prepare the bottle on site or use a travel bottle with pre-sterilized disposable bags.
Travel by train: a comfort solution
Fast and comfortable, the train is a good solution for traveling with a toddler. More and more equipment is planned for babies.
- What has to be done. The train is free for children under 4, but your child will have to travel in your arms. If you are worried about being cramped, you can reserve a place next to you. Inquire.
- Equipment side, TGVs and Corail-Teoz offer a nursery corner with bottle warmers and changing table. Also think of a little wool for air conditioning.
Travel by plane: what conditions?
No contraindications to your toddler boarding with you on the plane in his first few weeks.
- What has to be done. Under 2s do not have individual seats. Several companies offer cradles to hang in front of you. Their number is limited, book it in advance. You will have to hold your child in your arms during take-off and landing. Take the opportunity to breastfeed or give him a bottle of water. Suction alleviates tympanic pain associated with depressurization.
- If he has a cold or come out of an earsee the doctor to see if it is better to stagger your departure.
- On board, plan the necessary (diapers, baby bottles, etc.) according to the travel time, without forgetting clothes adapted to the temperature of the place of arrival.
Laetitia Möller with Dr. Julien Cohen-Solal, pediatrician.